Been waiting patiently for the raw headbanging power of metal music to come to the gaming scene? That’s exactly what you’re getting as Metal: Hellsinger gives players the chance to slay to the beat. It’s available to play right now too.
Available right now on Xbox Series X|S, PS5 and PC, Metal: Hellsinger is a game that we’ve been holding out for for a few months already. After going hands-on in preview, and then seeing it take down Gamescom, it was obvious that this was one that was going to appeal to many, especially those who get nothing but sheer pleasure from the hardest, rawest metal music.
It comes about via the Funcom team, as they join forces with The Outsiders to allow players the chance to become The Unknown. It’s here where Series X|S, PS5 and PC gamers will look to fight through the domains of Hell, hitting back against the demon hordes and eventually – hopefully – setting up a battle with The Red Judge.
Where Metal: Hellsinger is different is in how you go about this. This is a rhythm-based FPS, one in which your success is defined by your ability to strike on the beat, note for note as you get in sync with the rhythm. Do so and Hellsinger will become ever-more intense. Fail and well, the hordes of Hell are waiting…
With a range of weaponry at your disposal, the chance to take in an epic story mode or deep Challenge mode, Metal: Hellsinger really does play into the sounds that back it. You’ve got some seriously big names from the metal industry involved here too – Serj Tankian (System of a Down), Matt Heafy (Trivium), Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity), Randy Blythe (Lamb of God), Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) and Tatiana Shmailyuk (Jinjer) and rocking their vocals and instrumental goodness.
Our full review of Metal: Hellsinger is fast approaching, but for now the key features you need to concern yourself with include:
- Slay to the beat – Metal: Hellsinger is a rhythm FPS, where your ability to shoot on the beat will enhance your gameplay experience. The more in sync you are with the rhythm, the more intense the music will become and the more destruction you will cause. Demonic arsenal Defeat the demon hordes with a skull-clad blade or a wide range of murderous guns. Each weapon has its own ultimate ability, such as Murder of Crows or The Big Goodbye.
- Epic story and Challenge Mode – Play through an epic storyline, narrated by award-winning actor Troy Baker. Unlock special challenges and conquer the realms of Torment to become more powerful in the stages and get a leg up on the leaderboards.
- Fight through fire, ice, metal and madness – Although commonly known as Hell, The Infernal Planes is in reality a union of a thousand Hells, all of which are terrifying and diabolical in their own way. In order to dethrone The Red Judge, you must fight your way through the fiercest corners, from the icy world of Voke to the maddening world of Stygia.
- From the Lead Designer of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 – Metal: Hellsinger is created by an experienced FPS team at The Outsiders and is the passion project of David Goldfarb, Game Director on Payday 2 and Lead Designer on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
- Original metal soundtrack – Every track is created specifically for the game with vocals by metal icons, such as Serj Tankian (System of a Down), Matt Heafy (Trivium), Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity), Randy Blythe (Lamb of God), Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) and Tatiana Shmailyuk (Jinjer).
Metal: Hellsinger has an ‘official’ street date of 15th September 2022 (at which it’ll be releasing on Game Pass), however you can play it right now on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and PC by dropping a pre-order in. That’ll give you a 48 hours early access period – letting you bang your head ahead of time.
You’ll find the Xbox Store delivering such joy – pay up the £33.49 and get rocking.
Part human, part demon, and obsessed with vengeance. Become The Unknown, and fight through the fiercest domains of Hell. Destroy the demon hordes and their leaders to set yourself up for an epic showdown with The Red Judge herself. Every legend has a song. And yours is one of metal, vengeance, and destruction.
Keyword: The hugely anticipated Metal: Hellsinger is now available>